Enalapril is a form of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. Note; enalapril maleate is a medicine popularly used to treat hypertension. Both kids and adults can use enalapril maleate. However, children that are younger than a month old are ill-advised from utilizing the medication due to their adverse side effects. Some side effects related to enalapril maleate include blurred vision, mood swings, confusion, dizziness (that may sometimes result in fainting spells), sweating, fatigue (in rare cases), chest pain, increased coughing (with mucus discharge), diarrhea, sore throat, and difficulty in breathing accompanied with tightness in the chest.
The uses of enalapril maleate
- It is used to treat high blood pressure and lower it as well
- It helps to prevent heart attacks
- It helps alleviate symptoms of diabetes like kidney issues
- It helps to prevent kidney disorders caused by body tissue disease-scleroderma
- It helps to treat chronic heart failure
- It is used to treat heart disorders and prevents the development of heart failure.
As a drug under the class of ACE inhibitors, enalapril maleate works by stopping ACE from causing the blood vessels to narrow hence inhibiting efficient blood flow.
Usage and Dosage
Enalapril maleate is taken orally. It can either be taken with or without food, depending on the directions given by a doctor. Usually, the required number of takes is twice daily. Enalapril maleate, when used in the suspension form, ought to be shaken well before each take. For correct dosage, the medication comes with a particular measurement spoon as regular household spoons may not get the right dosage.
The dosage of the drug depends on several factors;
- The medical condition at hand
- The response to the said treatment and other treatments in use
- The weight of the person taking it especially in children
For the best results
- Take medicine regularly
- Take medicine at the same time every day
- Keep taking medicine even when the symptoms disappear
- Take it for several weeks for good results
- Exercise regularly while on the medication
- Practice a healthy diet and make other lifestyle changes
Take away note
Some people are allergic to enalapril or the ingredients in enalapril maleate. This, therefore, means that you have to consult your physician before embarking on taking medicine. Some inactive ingredients in the medicine may also cause allergic reactions. While taking the medication, it is also advised that you keep from using drugs like marijuana and alcohol as they may aggravate the side effects. Additionally, if you have a history of angioedema, you may also want to consult your physician before taking the drug.
The side effects of enalapril maleate can sometimes prove to be unbearable. However, these side effects can be managed and prevented, as well. First, you have to be keen on taking this drug together with other medicines as it may cause or increase the side effects. The correct diet, taking enough water, and exercising can also help in managing the side effects.